Wig making is the art of making wigs, primarily for the theatrical industry. The wig maker uses a wide variety of tools, ranging from hair to glue, to craft the perfect wig. In this blog post, we will explore the different types of wig making tools and their uses, including wigs made from human hair, synthetic hair, fur, and feathers. Let’s get started!
Wig Making Tools and Their Uses | What is the Basic Skill Set?
While you can buy a wig from any hair store, you can also make one yourself. Wig making is a straightforward and simple process. It is relatively quick and easy to make wigs.
Making your own wig is not as complicated as you think. If you are familiar with sewing, you can make wigs. The only additional tool that you will need is a wig stand.
You will need the following tools to make your own wig:
- Silk thread
- Polyester thread
- Wig stand (this is also a tool that you will need to use)
- Various needles (these range from 9 to 18 in needle size)
Want to make wig making easier and more efficient? Explore our carefully curated list of the Best Sewing Machines for Wig Making to find the perfect fit for your needs.
What Tools and Equipment Do You Need to Use to Make Your Own Wig?
If you truly want to get the perfect wig for your head, that you make by yourself, you have to follow some steps. First of all, you will need some tools and equipment.
The first thing you need to do is buy a wig. You will have to buy one that you think, is the best one. Then you will need to cut it. You will have to tie it up around the base of your head.
The next thing is to buy some hair, which will be the base for your wig. You will cut it into sections. You will then have to apply the glue to the scalp. You will need to wrap the hair around your head. If glue is too sticky, you can use double-sided tape.
You will then have to comb. You will have to pin up the base. You will need to then cut it. You will then put all the hair in. You will attach the hair to the base.
How to Care for Your Wig?
Knowing how to care for your wig is very important. You’ll be spending a lot of money on it, and having a healthy wig that will last a long time is very important.
Depending on the style of wig that you buy, the type of care will be different. You need to make sure that you know how to care for your chosen style.
How to care for your wig depends on how your wig was made. If your wig was made from human hair, then you need to gently brush the hair every day. This will keep the hair from tangling and to keep the hair looking healthy. You don’t need to brush the hair too much, just gently comb the hair each day.
If your wig was made from synthetic hair, then the hair doesn’t need to be brushed or combed.
What Materials Are Best for Making a Wig?
If you want to create this fun, low-cost costume for Halloween, you’ll need to stock up on a few wig-making supplies. Wigs can be made from various materials, though they’re usually made of synthetic fibers.
Human hair wigs tend to be the most expensive and are the least realistic. However, they can be styled and colored to match your costume or your hairline. Human hair wigs usually come pre-styled, but you can also style them. Human hair wigs can be purchased from most wig stores. However, they are not recommended for children.
Synthetic hair is often used in wigs because it’s so easy to wear, style, and care for. You can’t style it or dye it like human hair, but it’s easy to care for, and it won’t tangle or frizz as easily. It’s also offered in a wide array of colors. Synthetic hair wigs are relatively inexpensive – especially if you buy them online – but they tend to look less realistic than human hair wigs. Synthetic wigs can be purchased at any wig store.
Faux-fur wigs are made out of synthetic materials and then have the look and feel of real fur. They’re generally quite realistic, although they’re usually not as expensive. Because they’re made of synthetic materials, they won’t tangle or grow out or become damaged as quickly.
As wig-making supplies go, these types of wigs are one of the least expensive options.
How Long Does a Wig Take to Make?
A wig is not a permanent solution. It is a “do-it-yourself” option that can be used in place of your natural hair. A wig can take anywhere from 2 to 8 hours to make. The first part of the process involves preparing the wig foundation.
- Preparing the foundation involves washing the wig by soaking it in warm water and shampooing with a gentle cleanser. Once the wig is washed, it is dried and brushed.
- After the foundation is prepared, it is styled using glue, bobby pins, hair spray, and other tools. This step takes about 3 hours. Because the wig is custom-made, the styling process can take several hours.
- Once the foundation is styled, the hair is placed on the foundation (in layers). This takes about 2 to 3 hours, depending on the size of the wig.
- Once the wig is styled, the ingredients used to style the hair are washed out of the wig. This takes about 30 minutes.
- Once the wig is washed, it is dried and brushed.
- Once the wig is completely dry, it is styled one final time. The wig is brushed and styled to achieve the perfect look.
What Tools Do You Need to Make a Wig?
For a custom-made wig, you’ll need three types of tools: a wig-making kit, a wig comb, and a teasing brush. The wig-making kit usually comes with a wig cap, a wig nylon, and a wig comb. A wig cap’s base is shaped like a cup and can be cleaned with a wig brush. The wig nylon, which is secured by pins, weighs the hair down and provides the shape of the wig. The wig comb is used to separate the hair and style it. A teasing brush is used to create air pockets and volume.
What Do You Need to Sew a Wig?
You’ll need the following supplies:
- A wig cap (available in different sizes). A one-size-fits-all cap almost always does not fit—make sure you get a cap that fits your head or 6 inches above it. If the cap does not fit, it will break during the wig-making process.
- A wig-making comb (available in different sizes).
- A wig-making glue (available in different quantities). Make sure this glue is FDA-approved.
- Two needles, a zigzag stitch and a zigzag stitch without a needle.
- A spool of thread.
What Do I Need to Start a Wig Making Business?
First, you’ll need a shop or space to work in. You may be able to use a space in a store or salon, but you will need to be prepared to pay rent for it. You can try contacting wig-makers in the area to see if you can find a partner. If there aren’t any, you can either rent or buy a space, depending on your goals. If your primary goal is to save money, you should buy a space, whereas if you plan to make any profit at all, renting is a better option.
Read More Articles: